Saturday, March 06, 2010

What do you think the military owes families?

Seriously. I'm asking.

Like most, I've been outraged about the shutdown of the MyCAA program with no notice. When my first friend told me she was now out $800 tuition because of it - right when she needs to make a first college tuition payment for her son - I shook with anger. When I logged on to Facebook and saw just how many of my fellow military spouses were affected, I was incredulous. And then when I read the DoD's response, that the program was shutting down because too many people used it - and this after they spent who knows how much money to spread the word about MyCAA at Education Centers and FRG groups throughout the world - I was insulted.

The whole thing has got me thinking.

Obviously, if our Soldiers worked for IBM, we wouldn't necessarily expect tuition assistance or other programs. But our Soldiers don't work for IBM. We're a whole world away from IBM. So I ask you now, what do you think the military really owes families?

I know it's an open (and loaded) question. And it's somewhat open to interpretation. But I'm hoping to hear back from a lot of you about what your expectation really is. I think it's something I may write about - so if you are willing, please leave a comment below. Or if you want to really go into detail, feel free to email me at nonessentialequipment@gmail.com.

I can't wait to read your answers. I still can't quite figure out my own.

No comments: