Saturday, November 18, 2006

The gift that keeps on giving.

For Christmas, we bought my in-laws airline tickets to come visit us. They haven't seen the Munchkin in a good long while (read: years) and we figured that it would be nice.

Scratch that. CPT Dick thought it would be nice. He must have because he made those plans (and promised his parents those tickets) without consulting me first. I'm not even going to continue talking about that because between the audacity and the cost I think my head might explode if I tried.

The reason the outlaws have not seen their grandson is such a long while is because of a spat that my mother-in-law and I had during their last visit. It was only a few weeks after my son's birth and I was sleep-deprived, cranky and scared shitless that the authorities would realize their error in allowing me take home a real live baby and come looking for him. I guess I snapped at my MIL once or twice -- although, I don't think I did anything but snap at people when I wasn't practicing motherese with the baby -- and she decided the appropriate course of action was to leave early without bothering to kiss her grandson goodbye. She wouldn't even look at him. It was a horrible incident and I'm trying hard to get over it. So far, I'm not all that successful.

Since then, our phone rapport has, over time, gotten better. Everyone else likes to pretend nothing happened. And so we (well, CPT Dick) made these plans.

Fast forward a few weeks. Of course, now it looks like CPT Dick will be off training when they come. The idea of being on my own with them is vexing me something fierce. My son is now old enough to understand what's going on and I'm not sure if I could handle another scene like the last one. But I suppose what's done is done and I have to make the best of it.

It is amazing how many facets of my life involve having to make the best of it. Got to love life with a military man.

1 comment:

Miss LT said...

I can't sit in a room with my MIL if he isn't around to distract her from me. You are a better person than I.

-L- the 'ungreatful daughter in law'