Friday, September 14, 2007

Overheard at the CMR.

WIFE: Oh my gosh, I have not seen you in forever! I was just asking my husband about you. How are you? Where have you been?

SOLDIER: Oh, been keeping my head down. I'm getting out of here soon and just trying to get all my outprocessing and shit done.

WIFE: I didn't know you were PCS'ing. Where are you going?

SOLDIER: I got a slot at Ranger School. [I could type in the rest of this but he went on forever -- the basic gist is that she nods and says "uh-huh" a lot while he goes on about how this will be his second shot at Ranger School, how he messed up the first time at the Mountain Stage for something stupid, how hard it is to get a Ranger slot with the unit deploying so soon, how he knows he's going to make it this time despite it being colder weather but he feels like he's got to lay low so no one decides that he can't go back to the states, yadda yadda yadda].

WIFE: Oh, wow! That's great. We'll all have to get together soon to celebrate. When do you head out, December?

SOLDIER: No, I'm out in two weeks.

WIFE: But I thought you don't start until next year?

SOLDIER: Yeah, but I'm taking some leave.

WIFE: Oh, that's cool. Doing anything special?

SOLDIER: Yeah, Amanda and I are getting married next month and I figured it would be nice to take a honeymoon.

WIFE: YOU AND AMANDA ARE FINALLY GETTING MARRIED?! AND IT TOOK YOU ALL THIS TIME TO TELL ME?! WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?!!

2 comments:

prophet said...

as ever: impeccable powers of observation. grin! Thanks for that slice of life.

Marine Wife said...

It's all in the priorities. Hey, his future wife should know where she stands!