Thursday, September 04, 2008

Well, I watched.

Since Hillary dropped out of the race, I really had no idea which way I was going to vote. And though I found the Sarah Palin choice curious, I wanted to hear what she had to say before immediately writing her off. You know, as opposed to just reading what US Weekly and the National Enquirer had to say. So when I saw her speaking at the Republican National Convention on the gym TV this morning, I immediately plugged my headphones in, ready to listen.

I don't know why I bothered. I wasn't impressed.

For someone who came out against rhetoric, she certainly had more splash than substance in her own speech. And for someone who talked about how inappropriate it was to target her children, she certainly had no problems parading them up on stage as her own political props.

Maybe it's time to move to Germany. Oh wait. I did that already.

4 comments:

Lee Anne said...

Ugghh. I know. Had McCain chosen Lieberman I would know my vote.

Anonymous said...

I think McCain lost the Independents by choosing her. I'll admit I was on the fence until after I heard her speak.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't consider her family joining her onstage at the end of one of the biggest speeches of her career "parading them" as "political props."
If I'm not mistaken, Senator Obama and Mrs. Obama have been okay with putting their daughters on the cover of more than one magazine and inviting a tv show (Access Hollywood, I think) to interview them.
They also joined their mother onstage at the DNC after her speech (and to speak to Sen. Obama via satellite).

I guess I'm confused about the difference... ?

Non-Essential Equipment said...

Kath, this is one of my biggest pet peeves in politics -- the whole, s/he did it, too! I've been hearing it about Hillary being a Mom and Obama also using his kids. Just because in this case I criticized Palin instead of Obama, doesn't mean I think his kids have any more place up on that stage. But there is a difference in the situation. Obama's party isn't telling us that his kids' lives are private and then using them in his speeches.