Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Half-mast

Like most, I am overwhelmed by the tragedy that occurred at Virginia Tech. But I am slightly perturbed by President Bush's actions. He decided that all flags should be raised half-staff today as well as attended a convocation ceremony in memory of the slain.

The rule for half-staff is that the President or a State Governor can decree the flag to fly low in honor of the death of national or state figures. As sad as what happened at VT is, I'm not sure that it really qualifies.

And perhaps, I wouldn't mind so much if we weren't flying flags at half-mast today on post. We've had close to 3000 soldiers die in the war on Iraq thus far. Why can't our flags ever be lowered for them? Why can't the President attend their memorial services? It just makes me wonder.

No comments: