Thursday, February 21, 2008

Failure.

I'm not so good at failure.

I don't know if I mentioned it but I applied for an academic fellowship a few months ago at a fairly esteemed school in England. Honestly, I sort of applied on a lark. The fellowship was for mid-career journalists and I just barely met the eligibility requirements. I figured I'd be dismissed right off the bat.

But I wasn't. I was selected as a finalist and flown to England to interview. And that got my hopes up. Way, way up.

You know, as military wives, no matter how prolific a career or education we had before marriage, just by nature of the beast, so much of our lives becomes about our husbands. I know I've fought such a thing tooth and nail and yet here I am, living in this tiny corner of Germany, raising our child, leading my husband's FRG, volunteering my time for his unit, attending all of his events. There's not much time for my stuff. And what time there is, isn't very glamorous. I can't remember the last time I achieved something that was all about me. So you know, the idea of having my own thing, something new and different, something to do during the deployment, and, yes, I admit it, something prestigious, was so damn appealing.

But I found out yesterday that I didn't get it. It was a kind rejection. It encouraged me to apply again after gaining more experience. And you know, maybe I will. But right now, this news mixed with the looming deployment makes me wonder if I'm doing enough for *me* on a regular basis.

I don't know the answer.

5 comments:

Lee Anne said...

Ah, man! I know this smarts, but you are building an impressive portfolio and you should apply again! As far as doing for "me," I hear this one, and I don't even have a child (yet). If I knew the answer, I'd write it down, put it in a pretty package, and make my millions.

kimba said...

You're too bright to not get that fellowship eventually. Unsolicited advice from me: keep focused and keep applying. Next year - or in a couple of, or a few years - it will be yours, if you want it.

The Mrs. said...

Its hard to find an answer or a solution to the question regarding doing enough for you. Its so damn tricky... especially when your life is seemingly controlled more by the military then yourself.

Im sorry to hear about your fellowship. My mother always says life has a way of working out.... I hope you find your answers!

prophet said...

ach. . . . Ich hofe das beste fuer naechstes mahl. . . .

And I hope you will put your name in again. They don't say that lightly - trust me.

Meanwhile - you can call me doctor. . . (!) It went really well. Now, I get to go home and get my fellowship rejection letter. . . . .

Hope I get an invitation to reapply. . . . .

Bette said...

Darn it, I'm sorry. Even a nice "no" still hurts.

But don't give up the fight! You will find something that is for you, by you, and all about you. That is what I hope for you (and for all of us).