Friday, October 10, 2008

Maybe she has a point.

Kathleen Parker, most well-known as a Republican Washington Post writer who has come out against Sarah Palin, wrote an interesting column last week entitled, "Call off the Pit Bull."

In it, she argues that McCain and Palin are subtly trying to make us think that Barack Obama is a terrorist. An excerpt:
Neither McCain nor Palin would dare mention Obama's middle name, Hussein, but they can play up Obama's past associations and let others connect the dots. Terrorist. Muslim. Dangerous. Other.

It is legitimate to question character and dubious associations -- and William Ayers is certifiably dubious. The truth is, Obama should have avoided Ayers, and his denouncement of Wright was tardy. But this is a dangerous game.

The McCain campaign knows that Obama isn't a Muslim or a terrorist, but they're willing to help a certain kind of voter think he is. Just the way certain South Carolinians in 2000 were allowed to think that McCain's adopted daughter from Bangladesh was his illegitimate black child.

I have to admit, I snorted a little when I read it. I mean, come on! Certainly, Parker doesn't think the average American voter is that dumb.

But then I saw this video.



Now I know that this video is an amateurish one. It could have been edited all sorts of ways. I'm sure there were many more people outside the rally who rolled their eyes when asked if Obama was a terrorist. Hell, it could have even been staged. But the anger in this video seems pretty real to me. And it floors me.

So once again, I wish we could start talking more about the ideas for our country instead of all this other bullshit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you - it seems pretty real. People don't seem informed enough to really make any kind of real judgment call on Obama or Palin for that matter in this video. If people are going to vote in this next election, for the love of God, get informed first. Read up on the candidates, do some homework.

Susan said...

Like my Mom would say "it takes all kinds".
There are plenty of nutcases to go around, but I do agree with you, it probably took a bit of editing.
I live in CA, so I usually run into the seething hate against Republicans, and that is often at family gatherings.

Sara said...

I am in texas and I cannot stand listening to politics around here. My in laws send me emails all the time about how obama is a terrorist and because of things written in the bible he's going to bring down the united states. And you would not believe how many times I hear similar sentiments DAILY