Sunday, November 09, 2008

The horror, the potty!

Before CPT Dick took off for Iraq, he gleefully commented that it was too bad he'd miss potty training. After he said it, I wondered if there was any way I could avoid it.

But it seems not. Here we are, in the thick of it. I waited a good bit to try it. I wanted Munchkin to be ready and hoped to avoid pee-soaked couches during a summer without air conditioning. So for the past week, we've been diaper-free.

Munchkin was not really keen on the idea. He probably still isn't. Every morning, he wakes up and asks for a diaper. But we're persevering. And for the past three days, with the exception of pooping (which, thank goodness he only does once a day), he's potty-trained. (And if anyone has any idea how to convince him it's okay to poop anywhere outside of his pants, I'm listening!)

I thought I'd envy CPT Dick for missing this particular milestone. After all, it's pretty stinky. But I find that it's kind of an amazing thing to experience. To watch Munchkin reason it out, figure out what is wanted and then try to it. To see him try to match me will to will. I daresay that when I'm not mopping the floor, it's even kind of fun.

I wonder whether CPT Dick will recognize this child of his once he returns. This smart, willful little punk who is growing up way too fast.


2 comments:

liberal army wife said...

my granddaughter is going through this. I think they are having trouble, because the diapers/pullups are so absorbent~ They are going to try the panties - NO diaper thing... She goes potty for her nana - we were just out there for a few days... but she thinks it's a game!

LAW

ABW said...

We almost had Junior potty trained, then a PCS came. We started over again, and it's hit or miss most days. I hope your little one has mastered it by now and we will be following in your footsteps soon! (I can dream, right?)