Wednesday, November 08, 2006

You may wonder what I'm doing here.

I certainly do.

I decided to start this blog to chronicle my life as a military wife and all of the general craziness that goes with it. A lot of it will probably include tirades about the FRG. After all, if it's a hot enough topic to get a storyline on "The Unit," I'm guessing I'm not the only one who is full up on FRG crazy.

For those of you who don't know, the family readiness group (FRG) is basically a military-organized group that helps support the families (hence the clever name). When the guys are deployed, this group can be a huge help in traversing the mucky mire of the military world. When they aren't, it's generally a job that involves a lot of crafting, being seen and trying to manage far too much gossip. And yes, I am an FRG leader for a company in garrison.

Friends and family find my new role quite funny. They point and laugh at the heavily tattooed girl they thought they knew who now spends her weekends manning bake sales and planning Christmas tree lighting ceremonies. What happened, they ask, to the girl who votes liberal, made out with her favorite musician after a chance encounter and willfully strolled topless past the Austin city police station on a dare? They wonder how CPT Dick managed to talk me into all this stuff that I would have snottily turned my nose at before.

And here's the simple answer. He asked me.

I should have known that when he asked I wasn't going to like it. That when a man quietly, calmly asks you to do something (but only if you want to) after so many years of marriage, it can only mean no good. But I was still all googly-eyed from post-deployment sex and didn't see the forest for the trees. And so, here I am. Fielding phone calls about girls in the barracks and how so-and-so's kid pushed someone else's kid on the school bus. It is an education, to say the least.

I hope that this blog is a place where I can share the joys, the fears and of course, the total inanity of my life as a military wife. Maybe some will resonate. Maybe it won't. But hopefully you'll keep reading just the same.

1 comment:

Miss LT said...

Well, I just came across your blog and decided to read it from the start. So here we go :)

In this part: "Friends and family find my new role quite funny. They point and laugh at the heavily tattooed girl they thought they knew ..." Would that be you? I'm trying to imagine my main character so are we talking about sleeve tattoos? If so, I like you already!

-L- , a female soldier.