Sunday, May 13, 2007

The glow of motherhood.

For Mother's Day, we went out to breakfast with some friends.

My one friend looked at me with some consternation and said,"I didn't know this was a super-dressy affair!"

I looked down at my jeans and blouse and said, "Um, it's not."

"But the girl who never wears make-up is wearing body glitter?"

"What are you talking about? I don't even own body glitter."

But she insisted I was sparkly. So I went to the bathroom to check myself out. I really don't own any body glitter. I didn't think my Mother's Day card had any sparklies on it. And I've certainly worked damn hard to avoid the crafting tables of my peers. So how could I be all a-glow?

When I caught my reflection in the mirror, and the tell-tale smear on my shoulder, it was all too clear what was causing my glittery appearance. My son's snotty nose. During a pseudo-tantrum before we left, he cried all over my shoulder, neck and left side of my face. Yum.

But I have to admit, it was quite fetching. I may never cruise the cosmetics aisle again.

No comments: