Friday, June 01, 2007

My Daddy-Loving Fool

Munchkin is in a serious Daddy phase. When CPT Dick is here, Munchkin wants to be right next to him. When he's gone, he says "Daddy?" in such a way that I'm left thinking it actually translates to "What did you do with my father, oh-woman-not-as-fun-as-my-Dad, and how fast can you bring him back?"

I find it ironic that we may have solved Munchkin's speech problems just in time for him to be able to articulate his anguish at his father's absence during the deployment. My kid is only a little over two years old. His father will leave for nearly that long. How will that affect things? How can I pick up the slack so that my son's feelings for his Daddy will remain even with him so far away?

Everything these days -- the articles I read in the paper, emails and letters from friends, the neverending coverage of the war on television, even just the sight of my husband picking up my thoroughly delighted son when he returns from work -- seems to remind me that our time is limited, that it won't be too long before CPT Dick returns to the sandbox and everything changes.

And then I wonder where I will find the strength to do this, how I can make sure that our family survives whole and intact.

No comments: