Tuesday, October 30, 2007

What He Missed - 10/30/2007

Dear CPT Dick,

Your son suddenly, mysteriously, has learned to count. And as we wandered through France this weekend, every time some stranger stopped to admire him (and this happened more times than I cared to count), he would break out those numbers for them. It was charming.

I have no idea how Munchkin picked up this habit, as I have not practiced counting with him, focusing instead on all of the inane word exercises that have been suggested by the SLPs who can not see him but will lecture me on my OWL (observe/wait/listen) habits after only 5 minutes on the telephone. But he's got it down cold. And now he appears to be moving on to his ABC's and tons of new words.

Bath. Pooh. Shirt. Shrek. Bed. Carousel. Light. Again. And something that sounds way too much like "Oh, shit." (Okay, that one he might have gotten directly from me).

I blame the Sesame Street. Do you think that if I continue letting him watch it, they could handle the potty training?

Once again, when you return, Munchkin has transformed a bit more into an independent little boy. You may not recognize him. But alas, my love, I think that is unfortunately something you are going to have to get used to. And it breaks my heart that you can't go through all of these changes with us as a direct participant.

Love,
NEE

3 comments:

prophet said...

UNbelieveable. . . . so cool! Glad to get to read this 'over your shoulder', as it were.

Marine Wife said...

That's so hard. You're so excited about the ways the kids are growing up but you're torn because someone is missing it and they'll never get it back. But he will be around for other milestones. He will! It's not the same, but it's the best we're gonna get.

kimba said...

My dad was gone for a year in 1972-73. He missed so much - I don't know how people get used to it.

I'm glad you're keeping a record, though. Capt. Dick must appreciate it.