Saturday, September 27, 2008

"Why do you think he's changed?"

Sarah asked the following question in response to my post, "You know, there's something wrong with the world:"
For curiosity's sake, can you explain what exactly McCain/Palin said this week that gave you pause? Why do you think he's changed?
It's a good question and I'll take it, though I'm guessing I'll get some hate mail out of it. =)

First, let me tackle why I think McCain has changed. Back in 2000, he said he did not support a repeal of Roe v. Wade. On that issue, he has definitely changed. And not only does his running mate support a full repeal but would also like to make abortion illegal even in cases of rape, incest and a pregnancy endangering the life of the mother. He's also now changing his tune on financial deregulation since the economy SNAFU -- back in the early part of the campaign his staff said they saw no need for any credit or lending reform policies because it was all about consumer responsibility. Now, all of a sudden, that's not the case.

I also got the chance to see a few McCain ads. And particularly the one about Obama being for kindergarten sex-ed made my blood boil. Talk about negative and misleading! And worse, he's as much admitted that it is.

I believe, and this is my opinion, that when you compare McCain in 2000 and McCain in 2008 what you see is a man who has take a step further right to cater to the Evangelical and hardcore conservatives. If that's your bag, then that's a good thing. But if you aren't, it's not.

Second, I've now watched McCain on the View and a few other interviews. I thought they were good discussions. But what he has to say just isn't working for me. And frankly, then having Cindy McCain say that the View hosts "picked their bones clean" -- ummm, what happened to discussion, to questioning, to getting to the bottom of things? I thought the McCains more than held their own. Why come out with that line after that? I just didn't get it. It makes it seem there is no room for discussion, for new ideas. It's the McCain way or the highway.

And now, on to Sarah Palin. Where to begin.

First, love or hate the press, they are there for a reason. For a campaign continually referencing the importance of the Constitution, I think the banning of press from Palin's meetings is a kick in the teeth. People asking questions about Palin's qualifications is not sexist. Coddling her like a baby, limiting her interaction with the press so we cannot see what she stands for, is.

And then the interviews. I'm still waiting for a Republican to weigh in on whether, after her interviews with Gibson and Couric, whether they still think she is the right pick. What I see is a woman totally over her head. I see a woman who is not well versed on the issues that are most important to America today. What I see is a spokesmodel VP -- I think in a recent conversation I actually referred to her as a "trophy" VP. She looks great and definitely paints a picture. But she is not ready to be the VP, or potentially the President of our nation.

So there you go. I'm ready for the onslaught.


14 comments:

Megan said...

I read your feed all the time (love your blog, btw) but am a lazy commenter.

I wanted to jump in on this one, though, to say that I completely agree with what you've said here and that I appreciate a good discussion of politics that doesn't include pundit style snark and bashing.

So, I'm commenting this time so that they can slaughter me with you so you're not all alone. :)

Sarah said...

Hey, no onslaught coming from me. I figure you're a grown up and you've made up your own mind by reading and paying attention. If you've done all that and decided on Obama, then I don't have any incentive to try to change your mind...and certainly won't call you names. I was just curious what your line of thinking was.

Non-Essential Equipment said...

Sarah, I'm sorry -- I didn't mean to imply the onslaught would come from you. I know that it wouldn't.

It was meant more for the people who have (usually anonymously) commented here about baby killers, troop hating and other extreme generalities.

I welcome discussion. And although I don't always agree with your POV, I like anyone who can make me think as you do.

Sarah said...

Well, geez, anyone who anonymously comments about baby killers doesn't have an opinion that's worth much anyway :)

And thanks for this post. It also gave me stuff to think about, or at least stuff to learn to refute :) Heh.

Megan said...

man, i TOTALLY expected a sarah onslaught. she'd bring her knit arsenal and we'd all be in trouble. :)

cricketspaw said...

Hi, I read your blog in the morning with my coffee, here in Japan :)
I totally agree with what you have posted here and you have put into words what has been troubling me as well!

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I'm pretty sure that Palin is for abortion if the mother's life is in danger - I googled to check and found it a couple places, just recently even -- http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote2008/story?id=5787748&page=1

Not trying to change your mind, just noticed it :o)

kimba said...

There was baby killing here at NEE? Somehow I missed that.

Non-Essential Equipment said...

Kath, I've now seen people attribute both to her. I doubt anyone will get to ask her to verify before the debates.

But I'll be honest. I'm very pro-choice. So even with that clarification, she's still too strict for me.

And this is coming from a person whose sister made the choice to become a teenage mother while I was working teen outreach.

My sister's choice worked out very well. But only because it was exactly that -- a choice. It was pretty amazing to counter her situation with some of the teenage girls I was working with as a volunteer. Really opened my eyes.

Like most, I want to reduce the number of abortions significantly. But I don't believe that we can do that without comprehensive sex education.

Anonymous said...

I respect your opinion and I know that everyone has a reason for believing the way they do - that's why I continue to read your blog!

I've done some looking online and I can't seem to find anywhere that states that Sarah Palin - in her words or her record - is against abortion if the mother is in danger. Would you mind sharing where you found this?

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm wondering if my comment from a few days ago went through to you for approval?
I said I hadn't been able to find any proof of Palin saying she was against abortion in the case of a mother in danger -- could you show me where you found it... ?

Non-Essential Equipment said...

Kath, my apologies. I forgot to approve comments when I updated this weekend (it's been one of those weekends).

I did go back and try to find where I heard Palin was also against abortion in the case of the mother's health. And it would seem you are correct. Others have attributed that belief to her but Palin came out in 2006 as saying it was only OK in cases where the mother is in danger.

(Of course, I'm not sure I see the logic. If you believe life begins at conception, then you are still ending a life in that scenario).

But it doesn't really change my mind. Especially when Palin is also against "explicit" sex-ed programs. How can we reduce the need for abortion if we don't address the problem?

Megan said...

Here's a video of a debate when Palin was running for governor. Her willingness to support a constitutional amendment banning all abortion, even in the case of rape or incest, begins at around the 4:00 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1-B-OyQ-KI

Anonymous said...

No need to apologize! I really thought I might have messed up when I entered it :o)
I guess the key there is the word explicit. We really need that defined by Palin to understand what she means.
I'm all for sex-ed programs (though when it comes down to it, it's really the parent's job, not the school). My parents were always incredibly open about sex (my Mom taught health, sex-ed, driver's ed in a big city high school for 20 years... you can imagine!) and I am positive that helped me immensely with right and wrong. I'm a firm believer in (good) education is the solution to a fair few of our problems.
Though I haven't thought about it a lot - and have no children of my own yet - I'm sure there is a line that should not be crossed in sex ed for kids.