Tuesday, September 23, 2008

You know, there's something wrong with the world.

When the most balanced political coverage comes in the form of Glamour magazine.

After a lot of reading and a lot of soul searching, I've chosen my horse in this race. And it has to be Barack Obama.

(And please note, part of me hates to admit this because of the huge number of people in my life who will say, "I told you so!")

I would have voted for the John McCain in 2000 with no questions asked. But after hearing what he and Sarah Palin have had to say about the economy this week, I wonder if that man still exists. And so, I cannot in good conscience vote for him.

I'm sure I'll get a few hate mails about this post. Full of how-could-I, don't-you-know, and what-makes-you-think kind of missives. But I've done a lot of thinking about this and my decision is made.

But what I hope for more than anything, honestly, is no matter how the race turns out that we can bridle some of this political passion to help work with the winning administration, Republican or Democrat, to get back to where we all want to be.


3 comments:

mike said...

Good for you. At least you have taken the time to carefully think about who to support as opposed to blindly following one party or another because it's cool with your peer group. I would think some independents and moderates would wait until after the debates to choose. Those tied to one specific party have their minds made up for the rest of their lives. No matter which way the election goes I think it will be a wake up call for the country.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you on the McCain problem. In 2000, he made sense, and had good plans and ideas. Since then, he has changed, and I don't believe it has been for the better. I've been enlisted since 2000, and I don't believe that being in the military automatically means that I need to vote Republican. I believe that being an American means making an informed decision. I applaud you for taking the time for doing so. Way too many people vote on passions alone, without any thought to the possible consequences. In my opinion, that is.

Sarah said...

For curiosity's sake, can you explain what exactly McCain/Palin said this week that gave you pause? Why do you think he's changed?