Sunday, January 07, 2007

Totally jumping the shark.

For Christmas, CPT Dick received "The Unit" on DVD from some well-meaning family member. He digs the show but often misses it since he works so damn much. Needless to say, he was thrilled. Me, well, not so much.

In general, I try to avoid watching any military-related movies or television shows with my husband, as he throws conniption fits and yells at the invisible man inside the TV when he thinks that the shows aren't up to his standards. He gets irate and after a while, I find it absolutely annoying. But the man conned me into watching the DVDs with him by telling me there was an FRG story line that I just had to see. And yes, I was stupid enough to fall for it. Why I thought that I needed more FRG crazy in my life is beyond me but anyway...

So we spent the better part of last week inside my own personal version of hell: a military TV show marathon with my husband, the man who can't let it go and just enjoy a journey into storyville when it comes to anything military. At first, I'll admit I liked the show. It's based on Eric Haney's book, "Inside Delta Force: The Story of America's Elite Counterterrorist Unit," which is a pretty good read. The combat scenes and situations are pretty good. But the FRG story line, oh man, it's even more pathetic than my real-life experience with it. But still, I kept watching because, for once, my husband wasn't screaming that the uniform was wrong or they were referring to some vehicle incorrectly. I figured there must be some more good stuff coming my way.

But then, I should have known, they jumped the shark. In the last few episodes, they tried to do too much. Infidelity, cut hair, locked doors, crazy Eastern European war criminals hellbent on revenge crashing a wedding reception on post, attempted rapes and real estate scams. I couldn't help but laugh.

CPT Dick contends this is all very possible, even plausible. I think it's total crap. It got to the point where I was thinking that I should suggest we watch "Patton" or "Das Boot" instead. And I might have even meant it.

All I have to say is I'm going to indulge in a "Scrubs" marathon once he goes back to work. And as I indulge in some Sacred Heart, Zach Braff zaniness, I'm going to appreciate that I'm not married to a doctor who might ruin my guilty pleasure.

No comments: