Tuesday, July 17, 2007

AWOL.

Apologies for the lack of posts. But we didn't have Internet for a whole three days. I really did think I might die.

Hello, my name is Non-Essential Equipment and I am an Internet addict.

But as it were, we are now officially moved. And for a military move, it wasn't horrible. Most of the stuff got here in one piece. But we did not manage to placate the moving gods entirely - we were still bitten by all that piddly moving stuff. For example:

(1) We couldn't find any of the appropriate cables for the TV/DVD/Stereo hook-up. Searched through every single box, made a heck of a mess and then decided to just go out and buy some new ones. Then guess what happened? As we opened the cabinet to hook up those new cables, we found that some enterprising young mover had taped them to the inside of the cabinet. Oh well. Always helps to have some spare cables, I guess.

(2) And spares we have plenty. As I seem to recall we couldn't find the cables the last time we moved either and bought new ones. We found those originals in a box of completely random battle rattle. Guess we never got around to returning them.

(3) My wireless modem somehow reset itself (I believe it might have had something to do with CPT Dick trying to set it up without my help, but he denies it). So after multiple hours on hold with customer service, we now have that back up and running. Of course, that makes it sound so simple. And it wasn't. They kept asking me for numbers and passcodes that were all safely packed away.

Now we just have to figure out (a) how we've managed to acquire so much junk and (b) where we are going to put it all.

2 comments:

Lee Anne said...

I hear you on the cables -- we have a whole rubbermaid bin full of the things all tangled up in a mess. Happy upacking and arranging! And, welcome back to the Internet!

Linda said...

Even though I have a yard sale every year (or twice, if I'm participating on Post!) I still can't figure out how I acquire so much junk.

We have 2 different solutions to cables. I like this solution: tape the cables to the appropriate appliance. But this works as well: put ALL cables into one box. If you're truly enterprising, you'll tag them first, but if you like to play 'guess the cable', just throw them in. We also tape hardware to the furniture - NOT in bubble wrap (as that tends to be cut off and discarded). And we tape the wire harps to the lamps (learned the hard way that they are easily tossed as well!)

And Welcome to IA anonymous...I am an internet addict too.