Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Climbing back on the wagon.

Between the move, the stress before and after, the errands, the cleaning, the lack of kitchen supplies and damn near any other excuse I could think of, I've been eating like total and complete crap. I am literally horrified about just what and how much junk food I've put in my body these last few weeks.

I call it the PCS diet.

Have no dishes in the house? Spending hours on post doing inprocessing and errands? Got a cranky boy? Hit Burger King. Easy as pie. Which, if McDonald's had the government contract, I would have ordered along with my chicken sandwich, fries and large cola. And hey, Popeye's has those biscuits. Just one or two will tide me over until I can get home to cook. And with all the stress, I deserve an ice cream. Let me just stop at the Baskin Robbins for a quick cone. And let's not talk about the snacking as I packed or cleaned or those extra couple of glasses of wine on those nights where I thought I just might go crazy without a little buzz. Oh no.

I'm afraid to even try to calculate those calories. I know it was far more than it should be. And with all the waiting around at the house from 8am until 5pm for the cable man and running around post, I haven't made it to the gym in weeks.

What gets me is that I know better. I know my stress-eating triggers well enough to avoid them. I know that finding a way, any way, to get to the gym always helps my stress level. And yet, when faced with the move stress, I still succumbed.

Needless to say, my indiscretions have gone straight to my large post-baby ass and they have hit it hard.

I'm not a skinny woman. I'll never been skinny. But I am generally fit. True, my midsection totally betrays the fact that I pushed a kid out and I'll probably never rock a bikini again, but I can run 6 miles in under an hour and have impressed more than a few soldiers with my ability to do 10 pull-ups. But like most shorter women, add 5 lbs. to my frame and you can instantly see it.

I've gone and added 7.

I'm in my house now. The dishes are unpacked. I have no excuse. It's time to get this belly under control before it decides that it's taking over.

I just wish that giving up the french fries and ice cream and getting back on a regular gym schedule didn't seem so damn depressing.

4 comments:

Bette said...

Ugh, the PCS diet. I've gotten back in shape faster after surgery than after my last two moves.

You'll get there, but it ain't any fun. And it's tiresome to hear people say "Just think how good you'll feel after a hard workout," so I'll refrain.

Marine Wife said...

Happens to the best of us. And it sounds like you're way better than me! I'm currently on the deployment diet: kid food, fast food, hell, whatever is easy...and fast. About the only time I seem to cook is when I specifically invite people over so I'll have to!

Good luck!

Sarah said...

Last year when we moved back from Germany, we had 30 days of leave to burn eating in all those restaurants we hadn't been to in three years. Oops. I lost those 15 (!) pounds over the past year, thank heavens.

Non-Essential Equipment said...

I start back at the gym tomorrow. Hopefully, it won't be as bad as I think it will be.

But it is nice to know I'm not the only one! Thanks!