Sunday, November 18, 2007

There's weirdness on both sides.

Shrek the Third is out on DVD. Did you know? I did.

Mostly because since it arrived in the mail, my son has insisted on watching it every possible second he can. Never underestimate the allure of a farting green ogre.

I was talking to a friend back in the states last night, decrying my newfound ability to quote pretty much this whole movie, and she said that she would not be buying it for her kids, even though they wanted it.

"Why not?" I asked. And I expected some comment about too many fart jokes. My friend is a staunch liberal in most ways but since she had kids, she tends to follow Tipper Gore's lead on what her children should watch and listen to.

"It's a pro-life movie."

"What?! How do you figure?" I needed her to explain this to me. Yes, in the movie (spoiler alert!), Shrek and Fiona become parents, and Shrek does voice some concerns about becoming a father, but I missed the part where they were made any statements referring to or condemning smushsmortion. Somehow, I imagine a subplot where Fiona and her princess friends picket the local Planned Parenthood clinic wouldn't mesh with the fairy tale theme.

"It is. It's subtle but the agenda is there."

"Where? I really have no idea what you are talking about."

"That song, 'Never Been to Me' is on the soundtrack. And it's used in a scene where it makes absolutely no sense. It's a statement. Trust me."

I pushed a little more but she was getting a tad defensive. I decided to drop the matter and check out the lyrics to the song.

Now I well remember Charlene's 1970's hit, "Never Been to Me" for two reasons: First, I used to sing along with it to the radio when I was a little girl. I guess hearing her 7 year old belt out, "I've been undressed by Kings and I've seen some things that a woman ain't supposed to see" vexed my mother a bit. And it became an issue because she kept switching the radio station every time it came on, which made me just want to listen to the song even more.

(Tangent story: the same thing happened to my friend, K, with her daughter. Except her five-year-old decided to sing along with Ludacris' "What's Your Fantasy." Somehow, my singing about being undressed by royalty seems totally tame in comparison to "I want to lick-ick-ick-ick-ick you from your head to your toes." But I digress).

The other reason I remember the song is because it was used in one of my favorite all time movies, "The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert." And let me tell you, Hugo Weaving owned that song, I tell you, owned it! Maybe it was the giant fake eyelashes. So whenever I hear the song, when I'm not thinking of my mother overreacting, I pretty much think of transvestites.

But still, I don't remember anything about it being a pro-life anthem. So I looked up the lyrics. And what did I find?

Yes, the song is still cheesy as ever. No surprises there.

But there is this one line:

Sometimes I've been crying for unborn children that might have made me complete.

Which I guess, if you stretch and squint your eyes and really, really want it to have a deeper subtext could be construed as pro-life. But I think it's a reach.

So now, as we watch Shrek the Third, for the 3654th time, and now I'm all looking for something that probably is not there, I am wondering if I'm the crazy one or if I just inspire it in the people around me.

2 comments:

.... said...

Ok, having not seen the movie, two full length featured movies with Mike Myers as an Ogre with Eddie "the talkin" Donkey were more then enough for me, but I gotta say, I remember the song and if the message is in there, that is a stretch for me....but your friend had to have gotten that from all the talk back when the movie opened in theaters about the movie being Pro-life but pushing transvestitism, so no, you are not crazy, she just read it online, like everyone else.

kimba said...

Al Gore is a truly great man, and I respect him enormously. But Tipper is no liberal, IMO.

I will never get over her dopey PMRC days, when she (successfully) lobbied Congress to force the music industry to put warning labels on music. It was absurd. At least, however, it left us with loads of audio of Congressional Representatives reciting "obscene" lyrics for their colleagues.

Anyway, I admit that I have never seen Shrek, so I am not at all familiar with the story, but "Never Been to Me" has never struck me as particularly political in any context - including in Priscilla (which I love, too).

How in the world would a kid understand a thing about the lyrics in any case? I listened to, and sang along with, some pretty suggestive Kiss lyrics when I was a kid, totally clueless as to their meaning.