Monday, March 24, 2008

I'm so sick of politics.

Is the election over yet? No? Then can someone tell me to ignore the news until after November? I swear, I'm just sick of it all and we're still 6 months away from V-day. What makes it worse is that some of my stories this month have jumped into the political fray and, really, they just made me more cranky about the process.

Case in point. I was asked to write a story about one of the presidential candidate's policies. I called the campaign to get a staffer to give me a two minute soundbyte for the piece. Just a quote that could go along with the very favorable policy that the hopeful is touting. I spoke to someone in the media department who told me to go ahead and submit a media request on the website. I did so.

Now do you think it got me my two minute phone call with a staffer? No, of course not. And no amount of calling ended up granting me that honor. But what it did do was put me on the mailing list. In the three weeks, I patiently waited for an appointment to ask a sum total of three questions, I received at least two, sometimes more emails per day. Telling me about change, about how voters who say they don't believe in X really don't believe in me. Frankly, it was annoying stuff. And stuff that I thought this candidate was better than. But hey, a person's gotta advertise. I tried to keep patient.

But after a week of that, I tried to unsubscribe. No luck. In fact, I think it might have signed me up again because I started getting even more emails.

And when I asked a press staffer when I might hear back about my interview request, why I hadn't already even, she had the audacity to tell me that they didn't have my email on file.

Ugh.

I never got my quote. I called every day, I pestered, I may have even stalked. But I apparently wasn't important enough to talk to, even when I opened my schedule totally for this person (and I didn't even want to talk to the candidate -- just a random staffer that could speak for the campaign). My story had to be filed without it.

But I'm still receiving those fucking emails.

No comments: