Sunday, April 06, 2008

Teenage angst come early.

I've been volunteering now and again at our local elementary school. The fourth grade teacher is one of the ladies in our FRG and asked me to come in and talk about writing. So I did and come back every now and again to talk about the craft.

The class' last unit was poetry. Since its elementary school, of course, the theme was spring. The beauty and wonderment of spring. Blech. Poor kids. It's a terrible topic. But I understand why the teacher picked it. I mean, it's not like you can ask your average 10 year old to go Brodski on you. Or can you?

For his assignment, one of the students turned in this ode to spring:

Flowers, I want to burn them all.

Spring is boring.
Laying in the grass
will get bugs on you.

Spring is ugly.
Fresh air makes me
want to barf.

It continues on in the same vein for a few more stanzas. And you know? After reading page after page about beautiful flowers, I thought this one was awesome.

4 comments:

Butterfly Wife said...

Excellent. I think he is going to be going against the grain for the rest of his life. Hopefully he can hang on to it without being consumed by it. And that would be most excellent. :D

Nomad Librarian said...

That poem is fantastic! I wish I had had the balls to write something like that when I was 10, but I was too much of a suck-up.

.... said...

I gotta give you kuddos for even walking in and doing the class....my son and his class would throw things at me if I began anything remotely close to poetry....they are only 9, maybe the year makes a difference, but I am quite sure that the one you posted was what I'd get out of most of them, but it would have fire in it surely.....Spring is like fire, etc...bunch of little pyromaniacs is what they are.........

wifeunit said...

that is great!