Sunday, September 14, 2008

I hate everybody. Again.

This weekend has been fairly crappy.

A few weeks ago, I made a very difficult decision. And that is to step down from the FRG leadership when my husband leaves command. The choice was not made lightly. But ultimately, since we have no idea where CPT/Future MAJ Dick is going next, staying on as FRG leader for the remainder of the deployment might have seemed easier -- at least in the beginning -- but it would not have been best.

For anyone.

Unfortunately, some people see that decision as a betrayal. Several of them having coordinating roles in the FRG. And their response is to try to go all high school on me.

Case in point: We had an event this weekend. I was on point but Mrs. B, an all-star volunteer, said that she would be happy to help set up/organize/host. Even the day before the event, she was still saying she would be there with bells on. She was on it, girl!

But at go time, she was nowhere to be found. No call, no email, no explanation. I called her a few times and couldn't get hold of her on her mobile or her home phone. Then later, after the event, I asked around if anyone had seen her. At that point, honestly, I was a little annoyed but I was mainly concerned. I worried that something had happend with her kids -- or even worse, with her husband.

You could have knocked me over with a feather tonight when she called and read me the riot act for "talking about her behind her back." Being worried should not be my concern. I ain't her mother. If she doesn't want to be somewhere, she don't have to be. She is a volunteer. Her time is her own to do as she pleases. And after all, what do I care? It's not like I care about the FRG anyway.

So, since I've planned an exit, found a replacement and am doing what I can to ensure a seamless transition that will be transparent to these families, it's somehow not all right for me to ask why she said she would help out or why she bailed at the last minute. It is out of place to even think that I deserved an explanation. No matter what, I am in the wrong.

Funny how it all works like that sometimes.

2 comments:

Bette said...

I would consider that incident a good sign that you did the right thing in resigning!

Anonymous said...

As a volunteer (even though your time is your own)...when you sign up or commit to a task you should still complete it. I'm a volunteer and have been for the past 4 years. Just because you, "don't feel like it" doesn't cut it.

You do know you can fire volunteers, right? No one likes to do it, but if you provide them with a job description (expectations) at the beginning...makes it easier!

As the FRG Leader, you do deserve an explanation and if she is that immature - well...that's just on her. I wouldn't let it get me down, girl! :)