Thursday, September 11, 2008

Today.

I wrote about remembering in last year's 9/11 post. It's a common theme. We remember. Lest we forget. We will never forget. It's everywhere today. And I think most of us would be hard-pressed to forget what happened that day. The image of the plane hitting the building. The worry about our loved ones in New York and D.C.. The lives lost. And, of course, what came after. How could you forget?

But with that being said, I do think we are forgetting something. As we draw nearer to the election and all its related ugliness, I think, if nothing else, 9/11 should serve to remind us how, if only for a short time, we came together in the face of tragedy. There was no Republican. No Democrat. No Conservative. No Liberal. Just Americans, coming together to mourn, to cope and to move forward together.

Today of all days, I wish some of us would remember a little more of that.




4 comments:

kimba said...

*Cheers* - I couldn't agree more. If only it had lasted even the week.

(Picky point: as a sort-of-Virginian, though, I feel compelled to point out, as I always do, that the Pentagon is in Virgina, not D.C.)

kimba said...

Haha - and I misspelled Virginia. That'll teach me to be persnickety.

Marine Wife said...

Thanks for stating it so well. I hope you don't mind but I linked to you in my post today.

Anonymous said...

You are so very right!