Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Love, thy name is Netflix.

Back in the 90's, I had quite a video habit. I was single, working all the time, and spent way too much time watching rented John Huston flicks and wondering why Molly Ringwald didn't go off with Duckie instead of that stupid appliance-head, Blane. I mean, seriously, people -- the guy was not only a total shit to Molly but was wearing a terrible hairpiece at the end. What girl in their right mind would fall for the "I'm sorry, I love you" crap when the Duckman was right there for the taking?

But I digress. Because I had such a Blockbuster habit, I also had a fairly big accrual of late fees. Over time, I'm guessing we're talking about hundreds of dollars. It was just such a pain in the ass to get movies back on time. I mean, not only did I have to rewind the movie (this was back in those walking-up-hill-both-ways-VHS days), but then I had to drive to the store *in traffic* and drop it in the box before the official late time. It was just too much to ask of one girl.

But then Netflix came into my life. Not only are movies *never* late -- I can watch "A Walk to Remember" over and over again over a period of months and keep it until my husband says either the movie goes or he goes -- but they mail them directly to me and I return them by simply putting them in a provided envelope and then putting the flag up on my personal mailbox. They know how we lazy movie-watchers like it done.

And now, they've realized that with advances in technology, we may even be too lazy to walk to the end of the driveway:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/01/16/technology/netflix/index.htm?cnn=yes

Netflix, if you were a person, I'd kiss you. But since you are not, I just promise to never let you go.

Unless Blockbuster finally figures out your business model and starts offering the same services for cheaper. Then all bets are off.

No comments: