Tuesday, January 16, 2007

There's nothing in the manual about this.

I know I'm guilty of going on and on about the preponderance of FRG crazy but today rocked me to the core. One of the wives in our company lost her child this past weekend and I am at a loss at what to do. I've done all the things I'm supposed to, all the things that are listed in a simple, FRG-provided checklist -- visited the hospital, helped with arrangements where I could, sat down with her a bit, arranged casseroles out the wazoo. But I still feel completely helpless. I don't know this woman very well, nor did I know her child, but as a mother, I can emphathize with her loss. But by the same token, I can't help but feel that all this stuff that I can do, these services I can provide, are completely meaningless in the grand scheme of things. That I'm not offering any real support but a reminder of how far she is from her family, how little she has left after this devastating loss.

I am completely unprepared for the realities of this job, I would imagine. I just hope that as I go forward I can find something, even in the smallest sense, to offer as comfort.

No comments: