Friday, February 02, 2007

Secrets and Lies.

Right now, our unit is in the midst of a lot of changes. And they are changes that I can't talk about, that the higher-ups would prefer kept secret.

Unfortunately, if there is one thing that cannot be done in any place that incorporates stairwell housing, it is keep a secret. And with many spouses working for agencies on post, everyone knows at least part of the secret. The rest of it they are just sort of making up as they go along.

So I'm torn. I do understand why, in theory, the secret should be kept and I want to do the right thing by the unit. But on the other side of the coin, I also believe that families are more sophisticated than the Army often makes them out to be and that we are doing them a disservice by not being completely honest. Not to mention also screwing ourselves since the rumor mill is making this secret 100x more insane than it actually is, which will mean more work later.

And what I guess is really bothering me, I feel dishonest. I am asked questions about these changes all the time but I can only give them the party line. The higher-ups are afraid I'm going to say something more than I should because of my style. The families in my FRG think I'm not telling them everything. Both are probably right and it will be my own credibility that is shot to hell.

It's going to be a really interesting next few weeks.

No comments: