Saturday, May 12, 2007

Misplaced criticism?

This past week, a young girl went missing from the Algarve Coast in Portugal. Her parents are currently criticizing the Portugese effort to find their daughter. I was appalled and totally with them until I read this one line:

The McCanns had left their daughter in bed as they dined nearby.

I'm sorry, but who in their right mind would leave an almost-four-year-old alone in a strange apartment in a foreign land? There's nothing to say that she was even abducted. She could have wakened, not found her parents and walked out of the apartment all by herself.

Don't get me wrong, I do feel terribly for the parents. They've lost their daughter. But I fail to see how they think their current efforts are going to bring her back any faster.

No comments: