Monday, May 07, 2007

What the Army won't talk about.

There are many things the Army won't talk about but the biggest one these days is retention.

In every single article I read, the Secretary of Defense and each and every General out there says that there is not a retention problem in the military. I'd really like to see the data they are working from. Seems like every day, I talk to someone else who is about to drop their paperwork.

From anecdotal evidence, I know of a ton of junior officers that are getting the hell out. I mean, it's kind of amazing how fast they are all leaving. But do you blame them? They've already done a few tours in Iraq. They are tired of being away from their family. They are tired of an ever-changing and never-ending mission. They are tired of ineffective leadership. They are tired, period.

I will be very curious to see what the Army does in the next few years to mitigate the mass exodus. But I'm sure it will be more ostrich-head-in-the-sand tactics accompanied by the acceptance of a few thousand more moral waivers in recruiting.

No comments: