Monday, June 25, 2007

Maybe if I direct my thoughts enough, the Secret will go away.

"The Secret" is in the news again. No, not because those people in Darfur have finally realized its their negative thinking that has been causing all those atrocities and plan to turn it all around with a big hug-in this week. Though, wouldn't that be grand?

First, the AP has a piece about how the philosophy behind "The Secret" is nothing new -- tomes about the power of positive thinking have been around for centuries. Of course, so was the belief that demons caused mental illness and that you could rid a person of fever by simply draining copious quantities of their own blood. But that's neither here nor there, you know, because the Secret works!

But also -- finally! -- there is an accompanying piece criticizing Rhonda Byrne's book. You know, because the truth is that the Secret is bullshit. And potentially damaging bullshit at that.
While ''The Secret'' has become a pop culture phenomenon, it also has drawn critics who are not quiet about labeling the movement a fad, embarrassingly materialistic or the latest example of an American propensity of wanting something for nothing.

Some medical professionals suggest it could even lead to a blame-the-victim mentality and actually be dangerous to those suffering from serious illness or mental disorders.


Honestly, I don't know why people are so turned on by this book. Certainly, there is some truth to positive thinking in the idea that if you believe in yourself, and you work hard (ah, the catch!), you can achieve greatness. But this whole "law of attraction" thing just makes no sense to me. And I suppose it doesn't help that everyone I know who is really into this book seriously believes that they can sit on their butt all day and still achieve wealth and power, provided they are "seeing" all those riches coming their way.

But what also really interests me about this book is that so many successful people are supporting it. I mean, Oprah devoted two shows to this book. And I find that amazing because Oprah didn't get to where she is by sitting around visualizing a media empire. She worked her patootie off. I would think she'd be somewhat offended by The Secret's something-for-nothing philosophy. But instead, she's stumping for it, too.

I wish someone could explain this to me. I really do. Because as far as I can see, this is just a brilliant marketing ploy to part people with $15 (or more if you want the accompanying DVD) of their hard earned dollars for information that will ultimately hold them back from their dreams. But don't mind me. I'm probably just thinking too many fat thoughts today.

No comments: