Monday, September 17, 2007

Highway to Heaven.

You know this photo of a crashed beer truck with all of the bottles lining the road? I actually saw something like that once here in Germany.

A beer truck had busted an axle. But it had somehow managed to get itself over to the side of the road safely. Traffic was backed up behind it but only because motorists were stopping to grab themselves a case of beer. I remember wondering if there was some unwritten German rule about a broken-down beer truck -- were these people stealing? Did they have the driver's OK to take it? Or did they maybe pay him before taking it? Could it be that it's just considered a gift from God? How does this work? Is there some kind of secret German code that says any beer that might be left to skunk in the sun is fair game? Enquiring minds want to know!

(Note: CPT Dick was pretty PO'ed that I did not stop and pick up my own rack. He's decided a broken down beer truck falls into the "Gift From God" category and that it is completely disrespectful to ignore such a call).

So I had to laugh when I came across this headline in Der Spiegel -- Chocolate Sauce Blocks Autobahn. 13 tons of melted chocolate bars? Holy crap.


(And yes, for the record, I probably would have stopped at that one. How could I not? The chocolate would fix to my tires and render me immoveable! The only way to do my civic duty is to eat my share before moving on!)

2 comments:

Marine Wife said...

what a waste of chocolate! I think I might have cried if I'd come on such a scene.

prophet said...

For you, Nee, the link to an article that presents the proof that eating chocolate is good for you - yes it is - because it increases your brain power.

I am not making this up. Psychology today - read it and weep:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/rss/pto-20070625-000008.html