Friday, October 19, 2007

The first cut is the deepest.

Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away, my husband and I were looking at some old photos of him in high school.

And I was laughing. Hard. He was sporting a hairstyle that can only be described as "mushroom-head." He was not brave or patient enough to let his hair grow truly long so instead he stuck with a very ill-conceived middle length 'do that was seriously poufy on the sides. Men with thick, wavy hair should seriously consider the time involved looking like a total dork when deciding to grow their hair out.

At that moment, drunk with laughter and fearful that he would one day try to recreate said look, I made a pact with him that if he kept his hair short, the way Uncle Sam intended it, I would keep my hair long.

Of course, there was no need to barter. I totally forgot about the fact that military regulations make him keep it short. Because I'm a dumb-ass.

So my hair has been longer than my shoulders for as long as we've been together. And now I'm itching to bob it.

It's something I'd always done before I got married. Grow my hair down past by butt, cut it to my ears and donate the hair (if they'd take my baby-fine hair) to Locks of Love. There's something very liberating about cutting all one's hair off. I want to do it so bad that I can taste it. And I would.

Except for that dang promise I made.

But CPT Dick is in the field. And I'm thinking that if I bob my hair at my style appointment next week, it won't be severely short once he returns. I mean, that wouldn't be invalidating the agreement. Right? Maybe?

2 comments:

prophet said...

prophet on promises: make sure that the the promisee remembers the promise (1), and (2) values it.

I never did see Titanic because I promised someone I'd see it first with them. Years later, he'd forgotten all about it, and couldn't have cared less if I'd seen it without him or not!

prophet restatement on promises: that being said, having checked does make it difficult to say "Oh that was years ago. . . . you still cared?!"

Maybe your take IS best: it does grow back. And maybe he'll like it! (My husband actually prefers my hair short. Now, anyway. It's an age thing. . . .)

And yeah - what is it about cutting your hair that's so cool?!

Bette said...

Could some mild deceit work in your favor?

"By the time the stylist finished making it even with the part that got caught in the garbage disposal...."