Wednesday, October 17, 2007

TMI.

I know I've gone on about how I don't appreciate people starting business or volunteer meetings by stating their religious preferences. But today, I was hit with something even more interesting.

I have a potential client in the next city over. We've talked a lot over email but she wanted to meet in person, understandably, to make sure that I could handle the rather large and expensive assignment that she was looking to staff. We set up the meeting for today.

This morning, she rings me about 5 minutes before I'm due to leave the house. She says that she needs to cancel our meeting because she's manic-depressive and is having an episode. She is planning to check herself into the hospital but wanted to make sure I knew she wouldn't be available before going to the trouble and expense of taking the train over. She'd call to reschedule once she was more settled.

On one hand, I'm grateful that she called before I left. But on the other hand, how the heck am I supposed to respond to that? I said something resembling "good luck and feel better soon," but I couldn't help but feel put on the spot.

Not to mention, thinking twice about signing a contract with her for a months-long project.

So, I ask you, readers, to tell or not to tell? Was this a case of too much information? Is this the way that we should do business these days -- with no holds barred? Or is this something I should be grateful to know, either as a consideration before taking the work or as a way of handling her if I do take it?

I do not know. Really, I don't.

5 comments:

kimba said...

Tough call. I mean, she has a manageable illness, she seems to be self-aware, and she clearly isn't afraid to take measures to deal with the problem. Plus, sharing this is the same as telling you she had any other illness, like "I'm in the middle of chemotherapy" or "I am recovering from an injury" - right?

But it is more complicated, somehow, and I am not sure how. I fight with this one.

prophet said...

you do have a way of putting things. . . .

And you know? I just don't know the answer to this one, either! Gratitude does figure in there, but also regret - that now you know. And that you can't not know anymore.

*sigh*

[was it a very cool project?]

Marine Wife said...

Ooh, tough call on that one. On the one hand, better to know now than find out in some rather nasty way later on if you take the contract... Forewarned and all that. At least she had the decency to call and cancel before you left.

Butterfly Wife said...

It would give me pause to consider what I was doing with her. I suppose if it were me, I would want to know what I was doing for her, what her reputation is, what is the likelihood of her not paying me. And on and on.

There are plenty of high-functioning people with maniac-depression. Ted Turner, for example. So I hope that piece of information by itself doesn't put you off completely.

Non-Essential Equipment said...

I guess it wasn't so much the manic-depression that put me off -- it was that she was just so upfront about it.

I certainly don't feel she should hide her disease or feel that there is a stigma in admitting it. But I guess I wonder why she brought it up to a potential business contact before a relationship had been decided on.

She could have said any of a number of things that would be honest to cancel our meeting -- that she was sick, that she had an emergency, etc. She didn't have to go into the gritty details. And yet she did.

It's hard to know what to do with the information.

But I might not have to worry about it. I have not heard from her since and am unsure if the project is even still going forward.