Monday, November 05, 2007

Gift ideas for your runner.


For a magazine review, I tried out the Nike+ iPod Nano sensor this week. I'm more of what you'd call a casual runner -- I usually hit somewhere around 10-15 miles per week -- and so often the running gadgets that CPT Dick likes (he who runs 25+ miles a week and likes to rub it in my face) are a little too much of a pain in the butt for me to find helpful. After all, I'm not trying to run a marathon. And you know? If I walk for a few minutes during a 8 mile run? IT'S NOT THE END OF THE WORLD AND DOES NOT MEAN THAT I AM A WUSS.

So this baby? It is AWESOME. And really, it would work for any level runner. You can use it for walking or running. And if you don't have the specific Nike+ shoe, no biggie. You can get a sensor pocket for a couple of bucks on Amazon to attach it to your shoelaces. So you can have the gadget without having to pay an extra $50 for shoes with a little foam insert.

The sensor tracks miles run, time and other variables. You can upload your data to a Nike+ website to track your progress. But I think my favorite part is the power song. You know that song? That song that is guaranteed to help you up that big hill? Instead of slowing down as you hit the hill to search through your thousands of songs to find it, you can set the song earlier and just press the middle button on the iPod to get it going. It rocks. And it isn't that expensive -- under $30. (Of course, you do have to have an iPod Nano, but most guys I know who run already do).

Anyway, if you were having trouble thinking of what to get the runner in your life. Check this out.

3 comments:

Ellen said...

I average about the same mileage myself. I ran the Army Ten Miler this year and it about killed me.

The gear is very cool, I think I'm going to add it to my own Christmas list (and the Nano along with it!) Thanks!

kimba said...

I am a runner, too, but I'm that rare type who runs without music. J loves this Nike iPod thing, though, and he is darn fussy about his gadgets. So it must be a good one.

Lemon Stand said...

OOOOOoooooo! What a great idea! Thank you for posting this!