Sunday, June 15, 2008

I hate people.

Today, at the commissary, I found myself stuck in the freezer aisle. They had brought in some new brands of chicken nuggets and I wanted to look over the labels to see which were the least damaging to my child's health.

The aisle was also the site of a bunch of Father's Day promotional crap so after a few minutes of perusing, I realized I was blocking the aisle. It was a Mom with a little girl about Munchkin's age.

I apologized for blocking and not noticing and then said, "Given my son's predilection for meat in its most unnatural state, I am just trying to find the most healthy nugget they have."

She gave me a really snotty look and then said, "Chicken nuggets are never healthy. Maybe you should try actually cooking for your child if you are really concerned for his health."

I was stunned. Literally, speechless. Who says that kind of shit?

On the drive home, I thought about all the things I could have said to her. I could have made a list of all the stuff I do cook and all the healthy food my kid eats regularly. I could have complimented her on having so much free time and suggested that it may be due to her not having any life. I could have asked her if she had a stick lodged permanently up her ass or only when it came to kid cuisine. I could have asked if her fine family cooking was the reason why she was obese. I could have cursed her out. Or I could have just beaten the shit out of her and then screamed, "Clean-up in Aisle 11, Bob!" But, you know, why bother?

People can be nasty for no reason whatsoever. And I'm learning, when it comes to parenting, the viper tends to strike even harder.

So you cook those healthy meals, lady, and feel superior about it. We're doing just fine over here -- even with the occasional chicken nugget.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah! Those people whose lives are so miserable that in order to feel good about themselves they must be rude, look down their noses at, and act superior to random strangers. At least that's what I tell myself - to try and feel pity - so as not to punch then on the nose. ;)

liberal army wife said...

Now I don't like chicken nuggets.. but when the kid is hungry and driving you NUTS and you have researched and found one that hasn't got too much junk... you go for it. As for LardAss - she should live by what she preaches, huh?

LAW

Anonymous said...

What a beyotch. Although it shouldn't, it never ceases to amaze me how nasty people can be.

Bon appetit!

The Mrs. said...

wow. i was told once by a lady in the px food court that I should be making my babys mashed peas by hand. dammit i was buying premade baby food to stimulate the economy!

My kids live on hot dogs and chicken nuggets. I mean they eat a bunch of fruit and whole wheat stuff too but still, its a childhood staple. I betcha she has some in her freezer.

Anonymous said...

That is just ridiculous!!!! People who are superior and smug and mouthy like that just amaze me. The audacity. She must be VERY insecure in her own parenting if she's going around being so harsh to others.

loqi said...

Good lord... and here I was thinking maybe all that crap was contained solely within the bounds of high school.

Had to laugh at the title of this post, because I am decidedly anti-social, and often rant about hating all people. It's hard not to when people do crap like this...

wifeunit said...

This is something I struggle with when it comes to my picky eater of a stepdaughter. Food shouldn't be a battle. And if you choose to accommodate their little taste buds and give them some chicken nuggets for one of the twenty one meals they eat in a week, you should be able to do it without some random betch coming at you. Seriously. People just irritate me.

I personally would have liked to hear you yell for Bob to clean up aisle 11.