Sunday, August 31, 2008

I was fired. Well, sorta.

About 8 months ago, I took on a new client. It really was a stupid move on my part. They required too much time at specific hours, lots of edits and the pay sucked donkey butt.

So why did I take the job? Everyone's talk about a sucky economy made me think that a long-term prospect that would offer me a specific number of hours per month and direct deposit was a good thing. Friends, I thought I had found myself that mythical cushion, which is nearly impossible to find in the freelancing world.

And there's a good reason why. It doesn't really exist. Turns out small companies, no matter how many hours they may promise you, aren't immune to the economy either. So facing their own business woes, they offered me an ultimatum this week. Up my hours significantly -- basically becoming a full-time employee without actually becoming one -- or go away.

I chose to go away. And it's amazing. I don't think I realized how much I was letting the economy, or more precisely the rumors about said economy, bully me until that moment. But when I was shown a door, I took it gladly.

And you know what? I found something else to replace it the next day. Something that had I chosen not to pick up this client, I would have had time to pitch months ago.

It pays not to let yourself be too scared.

No comments: