Thursday, February 08, 2007

Mistrial



I've been following this case because it has a lot of interesting legal ramifications, especially for men like my husband. When is an order "illegal," exactly? When does a military officer have the right to refuse an order? Interesting stuff, especially in this very gray-toned war.

I can't help but wonder if the judge threw the case out to avoid setting legal precedent. I mean, 1LT Watada is an Officer. I'm not exactly sure how it could be that he signed something without reading it. I might believe that shit elsewhere but Watada is not only educated by well-defended.

I guess we'll see if charges are re-filed. I have a strong suspicion that they won't be and instead 1LT Watada will be given some easy way to get out of the military. The best thing for the Army is probably for this to just go away.

No comments: