Sunday, September 23, 2007

Following directions.

Well, in the past few months we've learned quite a bit about why my son does not talk.

We learned that Munchkin can hear but he does not like to listen.

He can say words but often does not opt to.

Despite the fact that every Mom/Oprah-watching wannabe behavioral psychologist has suggested that my son must be autistic, he is not.

He's way above board when it comes to physical and cognitive (outside speech) development.

And we've agreed to the developmental Nazis plan to help this matter and somehow, someway, it's helping.

My son can sign. He's been consistently signing please, thank you, help and Mommy since his speech therapy session earlier this week. It is absolutely amazing to be able to have even these simple exchanges with him.

Whaddya know. Things may be starting to change around here.

4 comments:

Marine Wife said...

Maybe he's just one of those kids who will say something when he has something to say. Aren't males notorious for not talking much anyway?! ;-)
Sounds like he has a strong will.
Great for later in life but probably driving you crazy right now.

prophet said...

wow - this is amazing! I find it incredible how different each person can be, and I am so happy to hear that you are gaining such insight into how best to interact with wee M.

I remember a lecture that dealt with the Celts as a NON-literate society. "And if you call them ILliterate, I will hit you!" the professor threatened. "Then, I will flunk you." That must have gotten my attention as I've never forgotten what he said: "The reason the Celts didn't use written language was not because they couldn't, it was because they chose not to. They were an oral society."

Wee M is clearly something else - not oral (and that might not be so bad. . . . hmmmm) - and so this oughta be fun, eh?! Glad to hear your good news.

kimba said...

Funny, and only slightly related story:

A friend's child started kindergarten a few years ago. This child would not talk at school. At all. This went on for most of the school year - they just couldn't make it happen.

One happy day, this friend gets a call from his kid's school while he's at work. Apparently there is good news, and bad news.

He spoke! Finally! And he said, "I'm not wearing a goddamn smock."

Maybe Munchkin is saving it up for a zinger like that one!

prophet said...

Yer killin' me here!

"I'm not wearing a goddamn smock."

That is priceless. On so many levels.