Thursday, October 25, 2007

Roadtrip!

With CPT Dick away playing Army, Munchkin and I have decided to go away for the weekend. We're heading to Provence to meet a few friends and I think it will be just lovely.

Except for one teeny, tiny thing. We're driving.

Now, I don't know if you are schooled in the fine art of motoring with a toddler. If you are, then I don't have to say another word, your stomach has already started to cramp up with anxiety for me. But if you aren't, let's just say that I'm going to be spending 6 hours in a car with a person who thinks that the world revolves around him. While driving that car, I'm somehow going to have to anticipate his every need and reach around to the backseat to fulfill those needs without killing us. If a peanut butter cracker gets bitten into the wrong way and falls on to his shirt on a way that is displeasing, I will have to find a way, in between the screams, to explain why it's not the end of the world. I will have to change his diaper on the floor of truckstops.

And I will do it all while listening to the Sesame Street soundtrack. Over and over again. And with no wingman to help out.

Whomever said it's not the destination, but the journey, obviously never traveled with small children. But somehow we'll persevere. And at the very least, there will be lots of wine and yummy, yummy cheese once we get there.

2 comments:

Bette said...

Weekend in Provence...oooh! Even I would brave toddler travel for that. Have a wonderful time!

Marine Wife said...

Oh, wow. Good luck! I've been there, done that, with 2 kids while in Korea. Somehow it seems a little more daunting in some ways when in a country other than "home."
I've got my fingers crossed, hoping it will all turn out much better than anticipated!