Sunday, October 21, 2007

Who knew that I'm such a big wuss?

Since I can't get a regular speech therapist for my son right now, I've been reading up all I can on methods and strategies for speech production and incorporating them into our every day use.

This week, we've been working on environmental sounds -- the noises that animals make, cars and trucks make, etc. What that means is that I make those sounds, a lot and often in public while people look at me strangely, in hopes that Munchkin will mimic me. He usually doesn't but at least he's amused at the lengths I go to in trying to engage him.

But we've had a breakthrough.

Yesterday, when I asked Munchkin, "How does a cow go?" I took a breath and fully expected to be the one to answer with "Moo." After all, that's how it usually works. But this time, he answered. He looked at me, smiled and gave me a big ol' "Moooooooooo." And then, I went on to ask about ducks, cats, dogs, sheep, and horses and he could tell me all of the noises they make. Just like that.

I don't know what I did this time or didn't do before but finally he's gotten it. And we've been working so hard for so long that I'll be honest -- I started to cry while I continued to drill him on animal sounds.

I can only imagine what I'll be like when he starts using real words.

2 comments:

prophet said...

oh yay! oh hurrah!! how exciting this must be for you - and I'm so glad to have heard it.

Marine Wife said...

He'd been biding his time...
I'm telling ya, the boy will talk when he's good and ready and not before. And he'll probably make you cry then, too.
*hugs*