Monday, December 03, 2007

I'm loving it.


So, usually, I see movies, like, years after they come out. Seriously. I might see a trailer in January that will be released in June. Since my only movie theater options here are either German-dubbed or AAFES-approved, I then must wait until it comes out on DVD, usually just in time for Christmas. Then I put it on my Netflix queue and wait. And you know? The buzz does not last that long. So by the time it does make it to my queue, I can't really decide whether it's worth watching.

So I guess it's fair to say that I'm just not current when it comes to movies.

But Edward Burns, writer/director of the Brothers McMullen, tried a new thing with his upcoming movie, "Purple Violets." Before its release into theaters (but after its rotation through the major film festivals where it got a lot of buzz), he made it available on iTunes for download. Of course, the man made it available for $14.99 (gulp!), but frankly, the idea of seeing a movie before the rest of the world could snarkily tell me how it ended (and why it sucked) appealed to me so much that I was probably the first one in the download line.

And you know, it was so worth it. It's a beautiful film with wonderful performances (thankfully, now that Edward Burns has married Christy Turlington, he doesn't feel the need to cast his pretty but God-awful actress girlfriends in critical roles). I highly recommend that folks to see it.
Heck, it may even be worth a download and a trip to the theater.

But if nothing else, I hope it does well enough that other folks will consider putting their movies up for pre-download. It would be nice to be current every now and again.

No comments: