Monday, June 18, 2007

The man behind the curtain.

The NY Times has put up a fascinating slideshow featuring people and their online avatars. It's a really interesting look at just how much people will put into their online lives.

I find, though, as I scroll through it, I want to ask these people for some details. Why pick one of the opposite gender, especially such a girly-girl? Does the fact that you picked an avatar so close to what you look like in real life mean that you are that comfortable in your own skin? For those that have selected one who is identical except for that extra 20-30 lbs., does that mean that you see your weight as the only thing keeping you from being the person you want? Why so many over-sexualized females? Enquiring minds want to know!

And then I have to wonder what avatar I would choose. As I scroll through these, I wonder about the appeal of appearing to the (virtual) world as a scantily-clad, hot chick who can kick ass and take names instead of the military wife/Mommy/misanthrope with a large post-baby ass. Would it hold any appeal? Would it make me appreciate my real life more or less?

I can't answer that question. But certainly, it's fulfilling enough for the millions of people who religiously play these games.

Interesting times, these. Indeed.

No comments: