Thursday, June 21, 2007

Reading past the headline.


A recent AP interview with John Travolta garnered the following headline: John Travolta says no to psychiatric medication.

And while I find this stance completely and utterly mindboggling, I read on. And bless my e-meter, but wouldn't you know that ol' Johnny T. and I agree on something?

"I have never been compelled to share with you my bathroom habits or share with you my bedroom habits," says the married father of two. "Everyone has a right to privacy, so I have never felt -- even though I am famous -- that I had to share that with anybody."

Do the rumors bother him? Does he think they've affected his career?

"No and no," he says. "What affects your career is the quality of the product. I don't think anyone can hurt me."

Quality of the product. Hear that, people? Not who he's sleeping with. Not what he thinks of psychotropic medication or Tom Cruise calling someone glib. Not even showing his nipples or manly garden on the red carpet. The quality of his work.

And just in case you weren't paying attention, that work is acting. Not doctoring. Not scientific research. Not even public spokesperson for weird religion. Acting. And as such, we shouldn't be looking for him (or Tom Cruise) to tell us what is okay in realms other than those. And when they decide to say something about those other realms (or, thanks to Tom Cruise's public comments are goaded into doing so by the press), we should just nod our heads and roll on through. Not worth getting into a tizzy over.

Thank you, John, for the reminder.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting thoughts. . . .

You make quite a jump at one point, though. Travolta thinks that the only thing that counts is the "quality of the product."

You say you agree - and repeat it: "quality of the product."

But by the end of your paragraph, you've changed the quote. "Product" has become our "work".

I agree with you that the thing that counts here is the quality of one's work (ok - also how that fits in with character - but that's another issue). I do NOT agree with Travolta that what counts is the quality of the 'product'. Neither do I agree that our work is equivalent to our 'product'.

As humans, we are ever so much more.

And - in a wierd way - ever so much less. Case in point: our celebrities. I love the line: "I'm not a doctor; I only play one on TV - BUT. . . . ."

Am I not the one really to blame if I'm actually listening to that blather? Instead of getting back to work. . . . .

I enjoy your writing. Thanks - and keep up the good work! [grin]