Monday, August 27, 2007

My teenage years, revisited.


Many people think that it's very funny that my husband and I ended up together.

When we started dating, my hair was partially dyed purple and I was sporting both a nose and navel ring. I dressed to show my multiple tattoos and had been to see at least 6 Ani DiFranco concerts.

He, of course, was a soldier. No discernible punkness visible.

There is always more than meets the eye with pairings. And it's very true when it comes to me and CPT Dick. But if I'm being honest, I have to admit that I dated a lot more within my stereotype when I was a teenager.

And today, I completely remembered it when I happened along a youngish guy in a Misfits t-shirt.

He was probably early 20's, if that. And without his beret, his hair was gelled up into a faux mohawk. The t-shirt was obviously old -- maybe purchased that way, sure -- with little holes around the collar and the tell-tale fading of too many times through the wash. His Doc Martens were red and laced up to the top.

The teenage girl that still lives inside of me felt her heart skip a beat.

But then the effect was totally ruined when the Mom in me noticed that his jeans had holes in the butt.

3 comments:

Butterfly Wife said...

The rebel and the conformist within collide.

How many tatoos you got? Me? Just 3. ;-)

Non-Essential Equipment said...

4.

I'd have more but my body changed more in childbirth than I ever imagined. Placement is much trickier now. =)

Lee Anne said...

Oh, I so hear you on this. The Pilot and I are from the same hometown, and people still laugh when they hear we are together.

I saw Ani many, many times.

But, I was too indecisive to get a tattoo.