Sunday, August 26, 2007

This conversation again.

"I don't understand. Why would he choose to be in the military with all that is going on in the world right now?"

"Because he wants to be. There are a whole host of reasons. Listing them all could take hours."

"But there is so much more that he could do."

"Perhaps. But this is what he wants to do."

"I guess I'll never understand it."

"Maybe it's not for anyone but him to understand. Do you ever ask why someone wants to be a doctor? Or a lawyer? Or a priest, for Christ's sake? Or hell, what about your esthetician? Ever ask her why she chose to pop zits for a living?"

*pause*

"That's a good point. I'm going to make a point to ask her next time I go in for a facial."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually to tell the truth, I ask people all the time why they chose their line of work. I figure that writers get to be nosy. However, I hope I don't have the note of criticism in my voice that this person had.

Anonymous said...

What a conversation!