Wednesday, September 05, 2007

And just after I was talking about the state of my ass...

...I go and cheat today.

I went to the gym, as usual, and lifted weights. But when I went into the cardio room, the gym folks were preparing for an inspection. And they were cleaning the machines with that Army disinfectant -- you know, that stuff two parts bleach, one part motor oil, three parts urine (for color and fragrance) and one part random unknown carcinogens.

It reeked.

I got on the elliptical trainer with the best of intentions. I did. But less than two minutes into my interval work-out, I realized that the fumes would either make me vomit or pass out before I reached the first mile marker.

So I did the only thing I could do.

No, I didn't head outside for a run. Or over to the other gym which was probably safely grimy and unclean as ever. And I didn't go for a walk or play some ball.

I went home and made soup. Good soup. Soul-fortifying soup. Most likely, ass-sticking soup, too.

But I ate it. Three bowls.

Ass be damned. Because as the cook from "The Tale of Despereaux" can tell you, "There ain't a body, be it mouse or man, that ain't made better by a little soup."

Or, a lot, as in my case.

And for those who believe in the power of soup, here is my quick and easy soup recipe.

Ingredients:
-1 stick of butter
-2 large heads of garlic (separated into cloves, peeled and chopped -- I usually just use about 5 tbsps. of the pre-miced stuff)
-6 tbsps. all-purpose flour
-6 cups chicken broth
-2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
-a handful or two of fresh watercress or spinach
(Optional: orzo pasta)

In a Dutch Oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic and saute until golden. Add flour one tbsp. at a time, stirring until mixture is golden and smooth. Add to broth and bring to a boil, stirring
constantly. Reduce heat and add shredded chicken and watercress. If adding orzo, add and then bring back to a boil. If not, simmer at medium heat for 15 minutes. Serve with crusty bread.

3 comments:

prophet said...

oh yeah. . . .

oh my.

can I have some more, please?

My favorite is a concoction I call "Ugly Soup". Before I was married, I practically lived on it. But this sounds good!

prophet said...

oh - and by the way - you've never heard of the "three-bowl-test"? It's my ultimate stamp of approval. No words needed. Heading back for the third bowl says it all.

Marine Wife said...

sounds good, but when I saw the "1 stick butter," all I could think was Paula Deen would be proud!