Tuesday, September 04, 2007

When Daddies Dress Babies.

Today, as I was dropping Munchkin off at CDC for a few hours, I overheard some drama at the front desk.

A father was arguing with the Director about why he could not drop off his approximately 6-month-old daughter in her current outfit. All it took was hearing the words, "But why would she need shoes or socks? She can't even walk!" and I had to take a look.

The CDC policy is that all kids need to wear at least socks for their own protection. It's written on all of the stuff they give you. But as the father decried, "This is my first time dropping her off!" they wouldn't budge. And after a few more minutes of futilely arguing, he begrudgingly admitted, "This is my first time watching her without my wife!"

Then I really had to take a look. The poor girl not only was barefoot but she was wearing a pair of lime green shorts with yellow daisies and a brown and red Redskins cheerleader one-sie type top with built-in pom-poms. It was 56 degrees outside. He really didn't have a clue.

He was going to be late to report if he had to run home and get her socks so I took pity and grabbed a pair out of Munchkin's bag. They were Steelers socks, of all things, but the soldier seemed too grateful to care.

But it got me remembering the first time that CPT Dick got Munchkin dressed all by himself. He also went with the sports motif, although in his case, he grabbed a size 4T Patriots football jersey. He then paired it with a pair of Snoopy pajama shorts in a totally clashing shade of blue.

And despite the fact it was February, also no socks. I walked in the house and changed Munchkin before you could say, "Tom Brady." CPT Dick still maintains the outfit was fine.

I can only hope that the little girl's Mom is out of town and didn't come in to the CDC to the sight of her daughter all dolled up like that. If so, I'm totally willing to apologize for my part in the horror.

2 comments:

Butterfly Wife said...

Hilarious! :D

Marine Wife said...

Too true. At age 2, our oldest had more fashion sense than her dad. I remember hearing them in her room while he tried to put an outfit together for her and her telling him somthing didn't match!