Saturday, September 08, 2007

"You're given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself. What you say is completely up to you."


Numerous obituaries and news reports have already spoken about how her first book, "A Wrinkle in Time," touched the hearts of millions of children.

Let me add my own heart to the list.

I re-read "A Wrinkle in Time" every year -- and my childhood copy was so tattered that my nephew got me a new one at his book fair a few years ago. And since I am still compelled to open it whenever I see the cover, I fear that the newer copy isn't looking much better at this point. Even now, I so relate to Meg -- stubborn, likes short-cuts, sports hair that never curls evenly on both sides. It saddens me that there won't be more of her in future books.

Godspeed, Ms. L'Engle. Thank you for reminding me that we must hope for everything.

3 comments:

prophet said...

I have never read this, but for some years have been wanting to. I found her "An Acceptable Time" at the neighbor's yard sale & bought it.(Still unread) I'll have to get - and read - "Wrinkle."

Funny - on the one hand I always envy someone their first time reading of one of my favorites, but then I wouldn't trade the yearly read - for however many years - for being able to read anew for the first time. . . .

"Hope for everything", eh? I'm looking forward to this. Thanks for your take on her work.

Lee Anne said...

Shit. I've been meaning to re-read her for ages. Now, I will.

prophet said...

Hey Nee - I came across this old interview w/ M. L'Engle re-published in Christianity Today - thought you might find it of interest. I certainly did.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2007/septemberweb-only/136-52.0.html