Thursday, May 08, 2008

Holy Mother of God.

So, I'll be honest. For the most part, I've never been one to pay attention to food prices. While many of my friends, shop circular sales, clip coupons and buy milk at one store and produce at another, I've sort of always just bought what I needed when I needed it. And who notices individual changes in price when you are always buying a cart load? I've read all of the articles about food price inflation but have never really connected personally.

But today, I went to get Munchkin some fruit. He had a craving for peaches. Sure, it's early in the season. But I saw that there were some good ones at the commissary. They were small, sure, and could use some ripening up, but a few days in the sun and they'd be a tasty treat. I put 6 of them in a bag and made my way to the cashier.

Imagine my surprise when she rang me up and said, "That'll be $8.13, please."

Over 8 bucks. For 6 peaches. Hot damn.




No comments: