Thursday, May 08, 2008

Nothing like that first drunk phone call in the middle of the night.

As FRG leader, you are prepared for calls. You are. You know that people are going to call to complain about X, bitch about Y and cry some about Z.

But no matter how much experience or training you have, that first sobbing phone calls that comes in the wee hours still catches you off-guard.

I've now had mine. She had gone out to the bars. He called while she was out. She came home drunk to a sad message from her husband saying that he couldn't get her on her mobile either and that he wasn't sure when he'd get to a phone again.

So she called me crying. And ready to tell me all about it.

While I can certainly relate -- I've missed more than a few calls from CPT Dick during all of our deployments for one stupid reason or another -- I'm not sure why she felt it merited a call to her FRG leader at 2:00am. But she did. It's the FRG equivalent of drunk dialing. And like the other forms of that particular disease, it is almost impossible to get those people off the phone.

Hopefully, I'll be better prepared next weekend.

3 comments:

c wiss said...

Seriously?!?!?!

Wow. You are a saint for being in the FRG.

Wouldn't it have made more sense for her to call some in the CONUS, since there it would've been earlier? :-p

liberal army wife said...

you are her lifeline, mother, father confessor... and I admire your fortitude in not telling her to sober up and shut up!

LAW

JBBGirl said...

Well Put LAW! I ditto that!