Friday, January 26, 2007

Editorial soulmates.

Lord knows, I haven't had many supervisors that I've seen eye to eye with. According to my past performance reviews, this is usually my fault. My last boss said that I should try to make it less obvious that I consider everyone else a total idiot. And let me tell you, that is so much easier said than done.

But yesterday I turned in a story about bargaining to an editor. We haven't worked together much before so it was sort of a long shot. I wrote the piece on spec (which means I wrote it without an assignment) and was trying to find the right home for it. It wasn't a perfect match for her editorial section but it could be made to fit. So I hoped she might buy it. It's a piece about how to haggle when you travel to Mexico and South America with a full set of do's and dont's. Within five minutes of sending the story, the editor replied:

OK, I can offer you $2 for this.

I laughed my ass off. And then, of course, I replied that I wouldn't take a penny under $1000. Needless to say, we managed to come to a happy agreement somewhere in the middle using all of the advice listed in the article.

But it made my day. What a fun way to make a sale!

No comments: