Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The State of the Union.

Well, I suppose I should admit that I totally zoned out during the speech. Honestly, I felt like I was watching just a mash-up of Bush's previous speeches with all of his "find our resolve," "for the sake of our own security," and "united in the goal of victory."

And I have to also admit that I missed ol' Bushie's trademark "stay the course." I think it would have added some much needed pizazz to this snoozer!

Now, my ears did perk up with his talk of a "civilian reserve corps." Ummm, forgive me, but don't we already have such corps in place with contracting agencies like Northrop, Halliburton and SAIC? And I have no idea how giving tax breaks for those who already have health insurance will help insure those who can't afford it. I'm beginning to wonder if Bush's answer for any problem is either "more troops" or "tax breaks," and he just couldn't figure out where to find some extra soldiers to help blitzkreig in a new healthcare plan.

But in any case, I didn't really hear anything new. I have to concur with Colorado Representative Tom Tancredo who said that the President "[trotted] out this same old pig, albeit one with a slightly new shade of lipstick." But in case you want to analyze the speech, and point out where Bush actually said something different while I was picking my nose, you can find the transcript on CNN.

No comments: